Friday, May 12, 2017

Live blogging my anxiety (part 5)

Friday 12th May

I feel like I might have turned a corner. Or maybe this is just a random good day thrown in to the mix for good measure. Either way, I’ll take it!

Last night, I didn’t sleep at all. I had taken sleeping pills on each of the three nights before, so wanted to try a night without them on the advice of my doctor. It didn’t work. I was still lying in bed at 4am, so I gave up, lay on the couch and I’ve been up since then. Normally, this would leave me exhausted, but weirdly, I have more energy today than I’ve had all week. I’m still tired, and still finding things a struggle, but today has definitely been a better day than yesterday, when I was feeling really hopeless.
 
I thought after two weeks on this medication, I’d be feeling fine and that the side effects would have worn off. But it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen, which realistically means more time off work. This makes me really sad, because I love my job and my work colleagues, and I just want to get back to normality. But I know I couldn’t possibly focus on work at the moment feeling like this, so I just need to concentrate on getting myself well again.

I’ve found a psychotherapist that I think might be able to help me. I have tried counselling before (three different counsellors in fact) and while they were happy to teach me coping mechanisms that I do use, none of them seemed willing or enthusiastic about helping me get to the root of my issues. I fear if I don’t figure out what’s causing my anxiety, it will never leave me. So I’m trying therapy again, which I’ve always felt a bit weird and sceptical about, but at this point, I really am willing to give anything a go.

This is the last ‘live’ blog I’m going to write. My latest episode of crippling anxiety coincided with Mental Health Awareness week and I hoped that by writing about this, I might have helped someone else feel a little bit more normal. While the feelings I’m experiencing are anything but normal, I know we need to normalise this condition, so people aren’t afraid to speak up.

A lot of people have told me I’m brave for writing this blog. I’m not brave. I’m just one of the 1 in 4 people who experience a mental health problem in any given year*. Someone you know is probably suffering right now. If I broke a bone, no one would call me brave. And yet because it’s my mind that’s broken, I’m brave for talking about it. That’s just madness. Anyone should be able to speak about their mental health at any time without stigma or prejudice. Sadly, as a society, I don’t think we’re quite there yet, but I hope that we’re well on the way.

And as for me, well, I’m not okay. But I will be.







No comments:

Post a Comment